There are currently two TAO installation packages available on the OAT server: Automatic and Manual. Automatic installation involves setting up a permanent connection to TAO's own server. This affords greater ease of operation, leaving all technical issues to OAT. Manual installation involves setting up a web server and installing TAO on it. This affords a greater degree of flexibility and control.
1. On the OAT download page, click on the package appropriate for the computer on which you'll be using TAO.
- Automatic Package: Downloads a clickable, executable file.
- Manual Package: Downloads a ZIP file.
By carrying out this step you will initiate the download. Select the target system and/or folder for the installation file, and click save.
2. When the selected extractable is downloaded, double-click on it to begin the extraction.
This may take a few minutes to complete.
For users installing the automatic or manual package on Windows, the next step is to activate the UniController executable installer. This can be found in the TAO_2.3_with_server folder. Applications such as Skype will need to be closed during the installation, which begins after clicking the Start All button. This will create a TAO Back Office on your computer, which can be accessed through your preferred browser at http://localhost/tao (login:tao, password: tao).
For users installing the manual package on Linux, follow the additional steps below.
3. (Linux only) Install the latest versions of the following applications: Apache 2 server, PHP server configuration, MySQL server configuration and PostgreSQL.
Note: The recommended versions are as follows: Apache 2: version 2.4; PHP server configuration: version 5.5 or later; MySQL server configuration: version 5.0 or later; PostgreSQL: version 7.0 or later.
These are used to create your own web server, upon which TAO will be installed.
Once the Apache 2 server is installed, ensure that the rewrite and PHP 5 modules are enabled,
AllowOverride All directive is set in
DOCUMENT_ROOT, and that www-data or Apache user write permission is granted for the following files and folders:
/ (root directory, for the .cache directory only)
Once the PHP server configuration is installed, ensure that
magic_quotes_gpc are both off, and
short_open_tag is on.
The following extensions will be required:
4. Extract the source code from the downloaded archive and install it directly.
This should go in your
5. Run the TAO Installation Wizard online.
This can be found at the website:
6. When the installation is complete, you should be redirected to
If you are not automatically redirected, type in
http://YOURSERVER/ in the address bar of your browser.