The Hottext Interaction gives Test-Takers the opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge by showing, among several selections within a body of text, a specific type of word or phrase (e.g. a grammatically incorrect element, misspelling, main character in a story, capital city).
This creates a new Hottext Interaction window. There is a question field at the top, followed by a space (containing a sample text) in which to place the text containing the phrases to be highlighted as Hottext elements.
2. Fill in the question field, where it says 'define prompt'.
This will describe the task given to the test-taker ("Find the mistakes", "Pick the capital city", etc.).
Note: The A icon on the right allows you to bold or italize text, and to insert a picture, shared stimulus, math expression or link into your question. These options are available whenever you see this icon.
3. Copy and paste, or type in, the text within which the Hottexts will be presented.
The test-taker will choose the best option Hottext elements.
4. Select a word or phrase and highlight it. When the magic wand button comes up, click it to confirm selection of the word or phrase as your Hottext Interaction.
This will create a Hottext element within the text. Typically, there will be one word or phrase that matches the type being sought, and several additional words or phrases that might be similar to the type being sought. There might be cases where more than one option is correct, or where none of the options are correct. At the end of the text, you can add a final Hottext element which allows the Test-taker to state that there is no correct selection (e.g. "No error.")
5. Click Response on the right of blue interaction header to define the correct answer(s).
This will produce the same window as before, but you now have the possibility of placing checkmarks by the right answer(s). Check all that apply.
6. Click the blue Done button. Your Hottext Interaction is now complete.
After this step, you can preview your Interaction using the steps given in the Preview instructions.